November 6, 2008

I shouldn't be doing this...

Was what kept coming to my mind yesterday.  Every time I hit the bumps in the road letting me know that I was swerving into the lane next to me.  

It was just a leisurely drive through the countryside.  I couldn't stop looking at the trees, all starting to change colors and the birds flying somewhere for winter I'm sure.  And the cars that passed by with children in the backseat laughing with each other.  Then my mind would wander to back when I was a child and how the first time I ever drove out of Houston, TX was to San Angelo when I was 14 years old.  We were in this old white Mercury, whatever the name was for the Mercury version's of the Ford Taurus.  The A/C didn't work so we had to leave super early so we weren't in the car during the heat of the day.  After the seven hour trip our hair looked awesome when we arrived in San Angelo.  We had taken the plain route down I-10.  I now know there are much prettier, albeit longer, ways to go.  But I was awestruck at how beautiful the country was.  Every downhill glide getting to view all these rolling hills, with all their different colored trees was breathtaking to me.  You know how they blasted down the through some of the hills to make room for the road?  I had no clue that wasn't a natural occurrence until 3 some odd years ago.  (Jeff teaches me a lot!)  I just had never been out of the city of Houston, except to go to Galveston and that doesn't count, cause really it's just a suburb.  Then I saw that those things that I had always read about in westerns and seen in the movies really do exist!  I saw my first tumbleweed ever in San Angelo.  Wow, see how sidetracked I got in the post, now imagine that but when I'm driving!

Right, so anyhow, that's pretty much what I was thinking about - that and I wondered how unsafe it really was to stop on the side of the road get out and snap a couple pictures of this one cluster of trees.  You had orange, yellow and green all together.  No red ones yet.

The only problem with this story is that, I wasn't driving in the countryside.  I was driving all around downtown San Antonio on 70 mph freeways congested with traffic.  I was not fit for the road yesterday.  I can't tell you how many times I swerved or almost took a turn to fast because I wasn't paying attention to the signs beforehand telling me that it was coming up.  Taking a 35 mph curve at 70 is not exciting and my 'burb can't handle it.  (off track thought... maybe I should name my car Burbra... ahahahahaha!  I crack myself up!)  I was constantly worried that another motorist was going to call me in to the cops suspecting I was a drunk driver.  (another off track thought... did I really just laugh at that and think it that cleverly done?  I need adult interaction)  But thankfully, I made it home in one piece and without getting pulled over.  (one more off track thought... I wonder what Crystal is doing later today)  

Help!  I have adult ADD!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That post definitely has ADD tendencies in it, LOL. It's OK, I'm the same way.

I constantly tell hubby to pull over because I HAVE to have a picture of whatever it is that I am looking at at the moment. Good thing he drives when that is happening otherwise I would either never get anywhere or probably get in an accident.

I bet the trees are beautiful there, because I know they are here. We have many shades of red here and it is awesome.

 
Made by Lena